dice 1, sweet onion
dice 3, garlic cloves
2 tbsp. of olive oil
1/2 lb of veal breakfast sausages, remove casing, or I do 4 sausages per person
4 cups of chicken broth
2 small cans of tomato paste
handful of parsley, including stocks, chopped up
700 g of penne
- In a pot over high heat, brown the sweet onion and garlic in the olive oil for about 5 minutes. Add the veal sausages continue to cook for about 7 minutes, stirring so it doesn’t stick to bottom of pot. Once veal looks brown and cooked then add the broth and bring to boil, lower and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring constantly.
- After the 30 minutes add the tomato paste, both cans. Let it all simmer for another 10 minutes. The sprinkle with the parsley. Season with pepper.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling water, cook the penne until al dente. About 8 to 10 minutes. Drain. Transfer the pasta to the meat sauce and toss to coat well. Adjust the seasoning.
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven’s broiler.
- On a baking sheet, place 4 oven-safe bowls. Put pasta with sauce into each bowl and top the pasta with sauce with cheese making sure it is all covered by the cheese. Either by slicing the cheese or grating the cheese. Broil for 3 to 4 minutes or until the cheese has melted and brown somewhat. Serve with a green salad, or bread or garlic bread, which is even better, if desired.