1 sweet onion diced
3 garlic cloves diced
2 tbsp. of olive oil
312 g of veggie ground round I use Yves original veggie ground round
2 cans of tomato paste
4 cups of vegetable broth
handful of parsley chopped up including stems
700 g of penne pasta
- In a large pot over high heat, brown the onion and garlic in the olive oil. This should take about 5 minutes. Add the veggie ground round and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, for about 5 to 7 minutes making sure it doesn’t stick to bottom of pan. Add the broth, bring to boil, once boiling lower and simmer for 30 minutes. Remember to always be stirring.
- After 30 minutes add the tomato paste, the 2 cans. Mix well and let it simmer for another 10 minutes. Then add the chopped up parsley to the mixture and season with pepper.
- In another pot boil water and once boiled put the pasta into it and cook for 8 to 10 minutes. You want the penne to be al dente. Drain. Transfer the pasta to the veggie sauce, mixing well so that it all get covered in the sauce.
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven’s broiler.
- On a baking sheet, place 4 oven-safe bowls. Fill the bowls up with the sauce covered pasta, top the pasta with cheese, either sliced or grated. Then put into oven and broil for 3 to 4 minutes or until the cheese has melted and is a bit brown. Serve with a salad, or bread or best is with garlic bread.